Wednesday 10 August 2011

A library is a lovesome thing

Back to the library today – I have neglected it of late. And strangely, it appears to be just as full of disorganised clutter as the last time I popped my head nervously around the door. Where are those library fairies when you need them?

Here is a virtual realisation of a dream library, brought into being by a wistful soul without access to the real thing.



This is what my library doesn’t look like, but should.

I can do without the mantelpiece ornament which looks as if it represents Actaeon being torn apart by his hounds or some similarly violent mythological incident, & there is a tad too much dark wood & ormolu for my taste. Otherwise, the main elements are here. My own vision of library perfection also features book-lined walls & a welcoming fire, a patterned rug & squashy armchair for the comfort of Library Cat, & a bottle of something quaffable at my elbow - preferably a nice grassy sauvignon from New Zealand. A plate of fine cheeses would go down well, too.

I have the bookcases & the books, the fireplace & the wooden floor. Spirit away the white cat & replace her with an affable tabby tom; magic away the dubious sculpture & add my small collection of paintings; cover that far wall with shelves of books & now you see the potential for perfection that is so nearly within my grasp.

Why day-dream when you can have what you want? Without further ado, I shall roll up my sleeves & get on with it.




Illustration: Beyond The Ordinary






No comments:

Post a Comment